Academic Year/Summer Component
Upward Bound offers an Academic Year component in which students receive supplemental instruction in academic, cultural, and social areas, as well as a Summer Residential component - an intensive six-week instructional program requiring students to live on campus during the summer. All services are provided through a federally funded grant and are free to the participant.
Academic Year Component
Students receive numerous services that enhance their social and academic development, including:
- Instruction in reading, writing, mathematics, foreign language and other subjects necessary for success in high school
- Academic, financial, and personal counseling
- Exposure to cultural events
- Assistance with postsecondary opportunities.
Summer Residential Component
Participation in the Summer Residential component is by invitation only. During this component, students receive the services offered during the Academic Year in addition to:
- Career work-study and exploration
- Dorm-living on the campus of Mercer University for up to six weeks
- Enrollment in courses taught by college professors to receive a true college experience